Monday, April 28, 2008

Death of a Pepper Plant

John had a hard day today. Kristi said that he whined a lot and that he fell in the kitchen and hit his head. Maybe he was tired from not sleeping enough yesterday (he didn't get a morning nap because he was in the nursery at church).

To make matters worse, while John and I were in the back yard, I noticed that he had broken off a limb of a cayenne pepper plant I am growing in the back yard. There were a good four or five peppers starting to grown on that limb and when he started poking at the plant again I got angry at him. The poor little guy looked at me with such a confused look on his face. He's not used to me speaking to him in that way.

The pepper plant only cost $2.49 so it's not worth getting angry about and it's certainly not worth hurting my son's feelings about. I'm glad that I'll get another chance to treat John well in the morning.

(I just remembered something else: when we went to the park after dinner, we forgot to bring a ball with us. There were some boys and a young man playing on the basketball court and there was a ball lying on the side. John wanted to pick it up and play with it, but we wouldn't let him. This time, none of the boys told John it was ok to play with their ball. We went to the tennis court, where John loves to throw and kick around a ball, but there was nothing for him to do. So he went back to the ball, but we told him again that he couldn't play with it. Again, none of the boys offered to let John use his ball. This was just one of those days when nothing seemed to go John's way. I guess even little boys have some of those too.)

No comments: